Intellectual Property Solicitor
+44 20 7036 9282
- address issues with intellectual property before they mature into serious problems
- suggest preemptive tactics to improve your negotiating position in disputes
- steer you towards the best available outcome, cost-effectively
Peter is an intellectual property solicitor and specialist UK patent solicitor. He also advises on protection of designs.
With science and biotechnology qualifications from Cambridge University, he has represented clients in significant cases, including Genentech (one of the leading cases on novelty) and the Glatt case (manufacturing powders by fluidisation). He has been listed in Chambers' Directory as a specialist in high tech patent disputes.
Peter's Natural Sciences’ background gives him an understanding of scientific concepts and what those concepts mean for industry.
Most solicitors think like solicitors. They often have difficulty understanding technical issues or expressing legal issues in ways properly understood by technically adept people.
Peter's background gives the the ability to think the way scientists think. He has commercial insight into industry priorities, leading to better informed advice and directed to the legal and commercial issues that matter to his clients.
- advised Boots, Lego, Intellectual Property Owners Inc, Motion Picture Association of America, Apple, Mars, Argyle Diamonds, Allied Bank, Ordnance Survey, Eli Lilly, Pfizer, American Home Products, CR Bard, Glatt
- water purification, mapping technologies, pharmaceuticals, herbicides, counterfeit goods, compact disc, bar codes technologies, injection moulding techniques, electrostatic paint spraying, industrial pumps, fluidised bed processes and micro-electric motors
Qualifications and Memberships
- Trinity College, Cambridge: Master of Arts: Natural Sciences and Economics
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Past member of Bioindustry Association IP Core Committee
Peter has unique experience advising clients in landmark patent and copyright cases, which are frequently referred to in courts as baseline authorities for fundamental principles of English law. The cases which he has advised clients include:
- Genentech Inc’s Patent (Human Growth Hormone)  RPC 61, acting for Eli Lilly: patent validity
- Johnson Electric v Mabuchi Motor  FSR 280: patent threats
- PCUK’s application  RPC 482: patent validity
- Pall Corporation v Commercial Hydraulics  FSR 274: invalidity and infringement
- R v Comptroller General of Patents ex parte Celltech  RPC 475: judicial review of a decision of the Intellectual Property Office
- Pavel v Sony Corporation  FSR 117: validity and infringement relating to the Sony Walkman
- Johnson Electric v Mabuchi Motor  FSR 93: patent infringement and validity
- Ladney and Hendry’s International Application  RPC 319: patent ownership
- Vector v Glatt  EWHC 1638 (Pat);  EWCA Civ 805: patent validity and amendments to specification
- Phil & Ted’s v Trends for Kids  EWPCC 21;  EWCA Civ 469: patent infringement, validity, amendments and threats
- Mastermailer v Everseal  EWPCC 6: declaration of non-infringement and patent amendments
- Weir Pumps v CML Pumps  FSR 33: copyright in spare parts
- Ransberg Gema AG v Electrostatic Plant Systems  FSR 287: copyright in spare parts
- Alfa Laval v Wincanton Engineering  FSR 583: design right in cheese towers
Protection of Trade Reputation:
- Lego Systems A/S v Lego M Lemelstrich  FSR
- Mars - Have a Break Litigation